Saturday, December 14, 2013

Christmas Onesies

Do you ever have a onesie or shirt that gets a stain right on the front that you don't want to trash but don't want to use? This tutorial will show you how to reuse those stained onesies and make them super cute.
Since it is Christmas I’m doing a Christmas inspired one, you can use any shape or object you want. Just look on google and you can find a ton of inspirations. The concept is the same for the construction :)

DSCN1045

I forgot to take pictures of the process but it is not very hard so I will explain in simple detail.
Step one: Find a shirt or onesie that needs some attention to it. and find the basic pattern you want. For Christmas you can make a tree, present, snowman, if you are crazy and really good make a manger.
Step two: Get some scrap fabric to match with your pattern, and some interfacing (if you don't have this on hand don't worry about it, it is not necessary. I of course got some green scraps, and found randomly in my scrap container these long strips of blue and red. It was meant to be :) I also used some fabric paint I had so I didn’t have to sew the little dots on.
Step three: cut out the shape of your pattern. The tree was easy, the green tree, the little truck and some red and blue for tinsel decoration. If say you were doing a snowman you would need some white, or off white color, something for a scarf, maybe a hat, the rest I would do with the fabric paint.
Step four: Sewing. (This is were you can iron your interfacing to the WRONG side of the fabric tree) First I sewed what went on the tree first. So I sewed the red and blue garland tinsel stuff first. Just one line of sewing so it will fray a little when I wash it. Then you just put the tree on the shirt, pin it in a couple of places. Then sew all the way around the tree. I used about 1/8 seam allowance (the edge of the fabric to the sew line). Then I just added a little dots here and there for small decorations. You can use glitter or sequence I just didn't have any of those things.
Step Five; Try it on your little guy or girl and admire your hard work :)
DSCN1051
Here is some other stuff I found online….


1 comment:

  1. Those are adorable. Can't wait for someone to have a new baby so I can give it a try.

    ReplyDelete