Tuesday, February 18, 2014

homemade dishwashing powder

Nicole here, I’ve been on a make your own stuff kick lately and thought this week I would share some recipes that I have tried and liked. Give them a shot you might even like them and never buy store bought stuff anymore, or you can experiment like me and decide yeah I like my gain soap.
Dishwasher Detergent Recipe
  • 1 cup borax
  • 1 cup washing soda
  • 1/2 cup Lemi Shine (Citric Acid)
  • 1/2 cup kosher salt (for scrubbing action)

You will want to mix all the ingredients and put them in an air tight container, it will be a hard as a rock if moisture gets to it. Then I have a special plastic tablespoon that I use just for my powder. I leave mine under the kitchen sink and grab it when I start a load of dishes. Each batch yields 24 ounces of detergent. It costs around .06 cents per load which is amazing compared to store bought stuff.

DSCN1089

Use 1 Tbsp per load (you can use a heaping tablespoon if you feel the need, but we do not).

I found all the ingredients at my local Winco. The lemi shine is in the dish wash aisle and the others are by the laundry soap aisle.

Another thing I have seen but haven’t tried is adding two to three packs of lemon koolaid (yes you can use the cheap off brand). Apparently it adds a nice scent and the lemon acts as a added cleaner and antibacterial.

Rinse Aid: I use vinegar  in my rinse agent compartment. It doesnt leave a weird smell, and it actually works really good for hard water spots.

Next post will be laundry soap, which i was very skeptical of…..

No comments:

Post a Comment