Thursday, February 20, 2014

Homemade laundry soap

Nicole again,

I was very skeptical at first about trying a “homemade laundry soap” I have read a lot about it and some people swear by them, but I really like my gain laundry soap that makes my laundry smell amazing. But as I was going through my linen closet organizing (getting rid of a ton of junk) I came across some ivory soap. Then that got me thinking hey I should try to make some laundry soap it would be free and I have all the stuff so  not too much harm would be done. So I gave it a try…..

Recipe:

  • 1 Bar of ivory soap
  • 1 Cup of Borax
  • 1 Cup of Washing Soda
  • 2 Gallons of water
  • and a big container or two milk jugs like I used

I used this as a liquid since I'm not too fond of powder detergents,  you can shave the soap and mix it with the borax and washing soda and tada you have some laundry soap, but I like powder.

First you shave the ivory soap which can be a pain, or if you are feeling ambitious and your microwave isn’t silly like mine you can microwave it for 60 to 90 seconds and watch it explode, then after it cools break it into little tiny pieces. I had to strain my arm and shave it :( Anyways, after you have your soap in little pieces you are going to put it in a BIG pot, something that will fit the two gallons of water (if you dont have a big pot dont worry just make sure you have a big container like a bucket handy so you can add everything together). You will wan to add about 1/4 gallon of water to your soap and stir it till it dissolves, it should be on medium heat. Mine created a lot of suds which is ok.

After the soap is all dissolved take the pot off the heat and add the borax and washing soda, add about half a gallon of water (make it hot tap water). Stir till it all dissolves. If you have a big pot then just add the rest of the water, if not then get a bucket or a plastic container something that will hold all two gallons of water. You will want to add the rest of the water and let it sit over night.

homemade laundry detergent in a 5 gallon bucket

The next morning it will be the weirdest thing you have ever seen. No there is not a jelly fish in your newly made laundry soap,. just the reaction of all the ingredients. You can mix it with a spoon and put it in the container and your done. Or if you are like me and a little perfectionist, and you dont jelly fish washing your clothing, you can blend it in a food processor then add it to the container of your choice.

Before each load you will want to give it a good shake or stir (milk jugs or juice containers are the best you can put the lid on and shake it) then add 1/3 cup to each load.

Homemade Laundry Detergent in a juice jug

Review: I like it, but it doesn't have a scent to it really after the clothing is dried. Also it makes clothing a little static, but a dryer sheet can fix both of those problems. I just add one or two depending on the load amount. Also I added vinegar as my rinse agent and it seemed to do really good at making the clothing really soft.

Another thing you can add those little purex crystals, or bounce crystals to the washer and that would make them smell nice.

**If you want to use Zote or Fels-Naptha laundry soap you will want to use only HALF a bar, you can also you homemade soap.

 

1 comment:

  1. I have some liquid scent that you use that is very concentrated for making your own soaps, lotions, shampoos, sugar scrubs, etc. It is water soluble and just a small amount would scent the whole 2 gallons of laundry soap and would leave a light airy scent. The place I get mine at, iI buy wholesale, is very reasonable, and will sell 1. Or 50. They have over one hundred different scents to choice from. Just a suggestion for a scented laundry soap on a budget.

    ReplyDelete