Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Slower Cooker Mexican Chicken

Recipe by: Kenna Adams
Are you anything like me, where you have a hard time finding the time to cook dinner because you work a late night shift? Here is a great recipe that my sister gave me about a year ago that has saved me time and frustration. It’s simple and extremely delicious! When i made this for the first time my husband was in heaven! He loves his food and kept eating more and more and more. HAHA! He was happy there were leftovers for the next day and secretly so was I.
Ingredients:
4-6 Boneless chicken breasts
16 oz can of your favorite Salsa
1 Package of Taco Seasoning
A bag of tortillas
And some shredded cheese to add at the end.
Instructions:
First you are going to need some boneless chicken breasts. I usually buy the big bags at Winco or Walmart. But you can use any kind you wish.

Then I get some salsa. Now how much you use will definitely depend on how many people you are feeding. I can do about 3 or 4 chicken breasts and a 16 oz can of salsa for about 6 people.
My husband and I like Pace brand, but you can really use any kind of your favorite salsa. Just make sure you have enough to cover the chicken. 16 ounces is plenty for what i usually do because the chicken makes it’s own juices when it cooks. So it should help thin out the salsa, so no water is needed either. Add the taco seasoning as well. You might need to stir it up a little so that the spices aren't all pilled on top of the chicken.
And the last ingredient is some tortillas. If you want to add Mexican rice to your chicken tortillas to make it more substantial you can. That is what I do if I have the rice and it makes it so yummy! I usually buy the Mexican rice packets and then just follow the instructions on the back. If you feel that the rice and chicken is not enough you can always add a can of beans as well. I like black beans or refried beans. But again it is really personal preference.
All you have to do is put the chicken, taco seasoning, and salsa in a Crockpot and let it cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.
When the chicken is done, you just shred it there in the Crockpot and stir.
The very last step after everything is cooked is to put the chicken (rice and beans  if you wanted to add them) in the tortillas and add some cheese.
Eat and enjoy!


(Thank you Google for the images!)

No comments:

Post a Comment